Formed in 1988, TVAS has over twenty five years' experience in dealing with the archaeological implications of modern development projects and the requirements of the planning system. We have carried out over two thousand projects in the intervening years. These range from 1 person/day watching briefs to substantial area excavations. Our corporate and individual experience is extensive and we undertake projects of all periods and site types. We carry out both consultancy and fieldwork projects. Our involvement in a project is dependant on the scale and nature of the archaeology present. This can be summarised as:
- Desktop studies/consultations
- Heritage assessments
- Geophysical (magnetic) surveys
- Urban evaluation and excavation
- Evaluation within the modern urban setting
- Rural evaluation and excavation (any size)
- Linear projects (roads, pipelines, etc.)
- Evaluation and excavation of sites under and within alluvium
- Geoarchaeological surveys (boreholes)
- Watching briefs
- Specialist analyses (struck flint, human bone, animal bone)
Apart from struck flint, human bone and small assemblages of animal bone, we subcontract all of our specialist studies to various consultants. For the less usual specialisms, we have sufficient contacts with which to find an appropriately qualified specialist.
Insurance cover comprises: Professional Indemnity (£5m), Public liability (£10m), Employee liability (£10m) and cover for hired-in plant.
Thames Valley Archaeological Services has a sister company based near Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland: TVAS (Ireland).